
I have a little six year old boy. He is a sensitive type of kid and takes all things to heart. I love him for it. He also has had some trouble with his gross and fine motor skills, as well as his speech. So we have therapy to help him with all of this. Recently he had a little break through with his writing at school. Where his printing which was huge and out of control, has become smaller and much neater. He is extremely proud of this. Unfortuately, report cards are coming out from the school soon. And he is working really hard at everything, but he is not yet at par with his friends and classmates. I know that if he does not get a A on his report card that it is going to tear him up. It will ruin his confidence, and he will not be able to see his own accomplishments. This is where the school system fails kids. At the level of grade one, I just really feel that we should not be grading kids against each other. I wish the report cards would grade against the student themselves and their own accomplishments. His teacher is great, and always says how proud she is that he has come so far. But why destroy a childs self confidence by grading him against other students. I think at this stage we should be more encouraging of young people. Let them experience themselves and marvel at all the wonderful things they do. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment